Overview

The purpose of this blog is to inspire people to create. I'm a Pinterest addict, there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not searching for my next project. There are so many talented people out there posting awesome creations that I thought I could join in the inspiration and help others be distinctively creative.A little history on myself: I ran a home based craft business for about 6 years. At the time I sold my products to almost every US state, and countries like Japan and Iceland. One of my designs "Tulips in Spring" was published in the "Let's Paint Magazine" by Decoart and is still available online. I have taught adult education classes at several of my surrounding community colleges and high schools. I was a Girl Scout Leader for 13 years and love coming up with different weekly crafts/swaps. Currently a couple times a year I get my "craft fix" by supplying a craft at girls night/weekend, but now I would like to share my distinctive creations with you.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Spruce Up - Recover Dingy Lawn Chair Cushions

   Before and After

 
I'm not a professional seamstress, I can't even sew a straight line.  If you can measure and do some minor calculations you can complete this project. 

I wonder how many lawn cushions just like these get thrown away all the time?  My husband found a great deal on a couple of wrought iron table and chairs last fall.  They came with these cushions that have see better days.  I power washed them twice and let them dry in the sun.  Since Spring is fast approaching I needed to get them covered ASAP!.

Calculate How Much Material

I measured them and calculated how much material I needed.  I determined that each cushion would need 39 inches of length.  (measure how long the cushion is and multiply by 6 (39x6=234inches then divide by 36 to figure how many yards 234/36=6.5)

I visited my local Joann's Fabric and Crafts Store and picked up an outdoor stripped yellow, grey and black fabric (my husband's favorite colors) and some Velcro. I used my 40% coupon, so I'm able to recover 6 chairs for only $11 each.

Supply List:

  1. 6.5 Yards of Outdoor Material
  2. Thread 
  3. Scissors
  4. Pins
  5. Velcro
  6. Sewing Machine
  7. Straight Edge (if you can't sew or cut a straight line like me)
  8. Basic basic sewing knowledge
 

Cut Material to Legnth

Lay material out flat exactly how it comes off the bolt (folded in half) and measure out 6 - 39 inch pieces and cut
 

Determine Side Seams

Lay out cushion on material to determine side seams

Align Pattern

 

Pin Right Sides Together and Align Stripes

 

Draw Seam Line on Top







 

Since I can't cut a straight line I line up a straight edge on one of the stripes and draw it in with a pencil.

 Take it to the Machine

Sew up only three sides and reinforce the corners by double stitching
 
Use pencil line to sew straight line on the top

Test the fit and make adjustments if needed

 

If it fits - Trim off both sides

(If it doesn't then turn it back around and sew it up tighter)
 
Trun it right side out and top stitch all three sides

 
 

Make Staps

Use the folded side to make the Velcro straps that will hold the cushions to the chairs.

Take the folded side that you just trimmed off back to the sewing machine
Sew up the folded side at appoximately 1.5 inch width
Trim off excess material
 Cut four 8.5 inch sections

Turn each section right side out
Turn right side out
 
Tuck ends in
Cut Velcro in 1.5 inch strips (same width of straps)
Top stitch all straps and sew on velcro

Strap Placement on cover

Place the straps on the same side of the cover and sew

Sew on Straps

Back stitch several times for added strength
Stitch only an inch on the side straps

Cover the cushion

Turn the edges under and sew

ENJOY!!

 
 

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Coming from having written tutorials before I am impressed with your details and pictures! Love it and look forward to more "creations"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Coming from the Pro Blogger means a lot!!

      Delete
  2. Show me how to paint beautiful creations! ok ok...so that one might require some actual talent! I love the blog, very fitting for such a creative person like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would you like to paint? Send me a picture and let me see what inspires you! Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to add all of the picture. Really helps 'visual' people like me. I'm checking the clearance sections of craft stores and looking at long table cloths, or possibly shower or window curtains to do this. I have 6 chairs to cover which could get expensive. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this post with us. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete